Introduction

As a Walden University graduate student, I'm beginning this blog as part of my course work. I've used a website for several years now for my elementary students and their parents, but I'm new to the world of blogging.

The purpose of this blog is to assist me, my fellow Walden colleagues, and others to learn more about the field of instructional design. Along the way, I'm hoping to learn more about the world of blogging!





Saturday, December 1, 2012

Learning Connections and Connectivism

“New technology forces the 21st century learner to process and apply information in a very different way and at a very different pace from any other time in history (Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman, 2008).  According to Siemens (2005), with the constant barrage of new technology, we cannot experience everything as we learn new things, but rather we need to create networks of learning communities where we can share ideas with others (Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman, 2008). As modern learners, we have this idea of connectivism that integrates technology, social networks, and information (Laureate Education, 2009). 

When I have a question or need to research a topic, the vast majority of the time I turn to Google and the internet.  For example, our state has implemented the new common core standards.  I have been to several professional development meetings to learn more about these standards, but find myself frequently using the internet to gain a better understanding of how the standards apply to my grade level and to look for activities and materials to support my teaching.

I routinely use the internet for both personal and professional learning.  The number of website resources for teachers is overwhelming.  Within my social network of teachers, we share newly discovered websites with each other.  (This sharing of links and emailing links back-and-forth can also be overwhelming.)  During a summer staff development program, I learned about Livebinder, which seems like a helpful website that allows users to organize links in a virtual 3-three binder.  I started both a professional and a family Livebinder this year to help organize all of the sites that I want to reference for different topics.  

In addition to technology, I also rely heavily on social networks, for me these are primarily face-to-face with teachers at my school. It takes time and effort to establish these relationships, but it is certainly beneficial to build a network of go-to people.  There is a strong emphasis on collaborating at my school.  We meet as a grade level and planning teams on a regular basis to brainstorm together.  At my previous school, collaboration was not a priority.  Comparing these two environments, I know that I am a more effective teacher when I am networking and collaborating.

One struggle or challenge that I face is the pressure of change.  It feels like the pace of change is ever increasing, and it is difficult to keep up.  Currency is one basic principle of connectivism which states that “accurate and up-to-date knowledge is the intent of all connectivist learning activities” (Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman, 2008).  Having a wealth of resources and information on the internet and a ready network of teachers helps me to learn and stay up-to-date.

Since beginning with Walden University, I have added a new branch to my learning connections.  Building a network with classmates and learning from each other, having our instructors facilitate our learning, plus the variety of learning resources has made the transition to online learning easier.  I find embarking on this new learning journey to be challenging, but also rewarding and thought-provoking.

References

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.),

Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.  Retrieved


Laureate Education, Inc. (2009). Connectivism. [Video Podcast]. [With George

Siemens].

http://www.livebinders.com/

 

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of LiveBinders, Melissa! Thanks for sharing! I think that's another challenge of online learning--there's sooooo much! Therefore, having resources like that (and I like Diigo, too) will help us succeed in the long run. Those who are able to store information in an organized way (whether it's in your head or on a machine) will be the most successful and it sounds like you are well on your to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, there is so much out there. It can be overwhelming and time consuming! I've heard of Diigo, but I'm not familiar with it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete