Introduction

As a Walden University graduate student, I'm beginning this blog as part of my course work. I've used a website for several years now for my elementary students and their parents, but I'm new to the world of blogging.

The purpose of this blog is to assist me, my fellow Walden colleagues, and others to learn more about the field of instructional design. Along the way, I'm hoping to learn more about the world of blogging!





Saturday, December 22, 2012

Reflection on Learning Theories and Instruction


Learning Theories and Instruction has certainly deepened my understanding of learning theories.  Even though I’ve been an elementary teacher for eight years, my teacher certification training did not include much in the way of theory.  I feel that a renewed focus on learning theories, learning styles, technology, and motivation have already benefited me in the classroom.

 

One area of the course that intrigued me was Siemens’ Connectivism.  We are exposed to an overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis.  Connectivism helped me to understand the connection between this abundance of information, the need to offload our cognitive capacity on networks, and the use of technology to connect with networks of people and data (Laureate Education, 2009).  The mind maps we created helped me to visualize and understand the connections of my personal network.

 

Throughout the course, I’ve had the opportunity to reflect upon myself as a learner.  As we studied cognitive theories, I realized that I learn more effectively when I’m an active participant in the learning, and when I’m given the opportunity to apply that knowledge (Ertmer & Newby, 1993).  When I’m learning, I like to see the big picture, the instructional goal, but I also need the material broken into manageable chunks with smaller goals set along the way (Laureate Education, 2009).  Accomplishing smaller goals along the way helps me to stay focused and avoid becoming overwhelmed.  I also realized through our course readings that the feeling of isolation that I have experienced is a common problem among distance learners (Huett, 2008).  Acknowledging this has helped me see the benefit of creating new networks to feel more connected in my virtual classroom.  As this is only the second course in the program, I also realize that this is part of the distance learning/online adjustment period. 

 

One “light bulb” moment (that’s what we call it in my classroom) that I had during the course was that I cannot, and should not, try to constantly adjust my teaching style to meet the needs of each individual’s learning style.  Instead of designing this learning experience to reach visual learners and that learning experience to meet kinesthetic learners, it is more effective to consider the content and the best way to present the given material.  We also spent time during this course considering what technology could be used to present material or assist students in the learning process.  Reading The Horizon Report about up and coming technology was both exciting and intimidating.  The ways in which teachers and instructional designers create learning experiences will continue to expand with 1:1 technology, gaming, cloud-based applications, and even learning analytics with its goal of tailoring learning experiences to meet a student’s needs and abilities in close to real-time (Johnson, 2012).  We can put fabulously designed, technology-enhanced learning experiences in front of students, but are the students motivated to learn?  As we read this week, distance learning provides its own unique challenges to instructors and designers attempting to motivate students (Huett, 2008).  We know that some people are more intrinsically motivated than others, but it is encouraging to learn that as instructors and designers, the learning environment we create can impact “both the direction and intensity of a person’s motivation (Keller, 1999).

 

Through this course, I’ve learned more about blogging and created my own blog.  I learned about RSS readers and plan to continue expanding my knowledge of their use.  Both blogging and an RSS reader will help me stay better connected to the fields of education and instructional design.  I’ve also gained a deeper understanding into the ways in which people learn and different strategies to help them learn.  Of course, woven through all of the theories and strategies is the use of technology in education.  These are all considerations that I will take with me as I continue on my journey of completing my master’s and becoming an instructional designer.   

 

References

Ertmer, P.A. & Newby, T.J. (1993).  Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism:  Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective.  Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50-71.

Huett, J., Moller, L., Young, J., Bray, M., & Huett, K. (2008). Supporting the distant student: The effect of ARCS-based strategies on confidence and performance. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 9(2), 113–126.

Johnson, L., Adams, S. and Cummins, M. (2012). The NMC Horizon Report:  2012 Higher Education Edition. Austin, TX: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/HR2012.pdf

Laureate Education, Inc. (2009). Behaviorism and Instructional Design. [Video Podcast]. [With Dr. Jeanne Ormrod].

Laureate Education, Inc. (2009). Connectivism. [Video Podcast]. [With George Siemens].

 

6 comments:

  1. I am now following your blog. Brian Etters EDUC6135

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    I am now following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Melissa

    I am now following your blog. Nice seeing you again in this course.

    Mark Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,

    And, thanks for subscribing to my blog. One good follow deserves another, so I am now receiving your posts and looking forward to collaborating more. BTW, your blog page looks great!

    Sky Blaylock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa!

    I wanted you to know I am following your blogs. I look forward to reading your blogs.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa,

    I've subscribed to your blog.

    ReplyDelete